Having woken from a creative slumber I decided to take on a personal challenge to create a patchwork quilt, in what turned out to be one weekend.
The quilt was a gift for Mr C’s new niece, Alice, and I was keen to make a her a pretty patchwork quilt for her nursery. I completed a quilt last year and loved it so much that I thought I’d use the same way to make the quilt but add new fabrics to the design. I knew all the steps of how to make a patchwork quilt so I thought that with this in mind I could get it made over two weekends of sewing.
Everything to make the quilt was planned and ready to go, I’d been thinking about it and looking at options for fabrics for a few weeks, bought a few in preparation and washed and pressed them ready to use. But things didn’t quite turn out as I had hoped! I had planned two weekends to create the quilt, however I ended up feeling really unwell one weekend and spent the time in bed. With one weekend to go I set myself a challenge to get the quilt made in one weekend. We were meeting Alice for the first time at Sunday lunch and I really wanted to have it ready for then.
During the week I started to cut up 4.5 inch squares of fabric in preparation for assembling the quilt over the weekend. I wanted to create a quilt nine by nine squares, so a total of 81 squares were needed. It was a lot of cutting to be done!
On Saturday morning I got up early, put the kettle on and started to arrange the fabric squares cutting the final few, then arranged them from this….